Friday, March 20, 2009

The Obamas' Victory Garden


The food world is buzzing with the news that the Obamas are going to start an organic vegetable garden on the White House lawn. Earlier this year, more than 100,000 people signed a petition asking the Obamas to convert part of the White House lawn into a vegetable garden. It will be the first since Eleanor Roosevelt planted a victory garden during the Second World War. According to YumSugar, the garden will be overseen by Sam Kass, the Obamas' former private chef from Chicago.

Here's what it will look like (wish I was this organized with my own garden!):



For the most part, food bloggers are over the moon about the First Family's decision, part of Michelle Obama's push to put healthy eating on the national agenda. The only criticism I've seen so far is about the Obamas' choice of vegetables--no beets?--and speculation over whether they might be getting started a little late ("I got my spinach and peas in last week and the Obamas are http://www.chewswise.com/chews/2009/03/white-house-garden-starting-late-.html.
?") Personally, I'm sympathetic -- I just got the first peas and fava beans in the ground last weekend (running outside to dig furrows between bouts of hail), so I'm willing to give the President and First Lady a pass.

Photo by Flickr user dulcie.

No comments:

Post a Comment