Wednesday, March 4, 2009

For Example...

Apropos of my post yesterday about the differences between Gourmet and Bon Appetit magazines, Bon Appetit actually arrived in my mailbox last night. (I had--honestly--forgotten I subscribe.) In this issue, they tell me the following things I already know:

1) What tomatillos, poblano peppers, five-spice powder (featured in a spread titled "Family Style: Dinner for you and your kids--plus leftovers"), Asiago cheese, creme fraiche, hoisin sauce, smoked paprika, Greek yogurt, mirin, sesame oil, coconut milk, unsweetened coconut, mascarpone cheese, raw sugar, and Marcona olives.

2) Where to buy creme fraiche ("most supermarkets and at specialty foods stores")

3) How to make chocolate-dipped frozen bananas (thanks, but I'm not three)

4) That limes have Vitamin C;

5) How to microwave leftover rice;

6) How to level a measuring cup; and

7) That "making matzo balls isn't rocket science.

I've also been advised to just buy pre-cut frozen veggies and use canned low-sodium broth; read not one but TWO recipes featuring specific brands of white chocolate; and learned all about NASCAR star Jeff Gordon's line of wines.

I'm not a snob, I swear! I just want a food magazine that doesn't think I've been hiding under a rock since 1984 and have yet to discover coconut milk and Asiago cheese! Is that so much to ask?

No comments:

Post a Comment